Men’s leather jackets have been in style for decades now, and they’re often worn by style icons and Hollywood stars like Tom Cruise, David Beckham, and Chris Brown, to name but a few. I myself like to wear leather jackets year-round and I feel that they give my outfits a unique sense of style. Even older men enjoy wearing leather jackets because it makes them feel cool and young.
However, this is not the only versatile men’s jacket available. Keep reading as we explore the wide range of men’s jackets available and all the features that make them unique and stylish.
How Many Types of Jackets do Men Have?
The term “jacket” is a name used to describe the outer layer of clothing that men wear to keep warm, complete an outfit, or both. There are different types of jackets available for men to wear on different occasions and there’s a place and time for each of these jackets. For instance, you’d typically wear a tuxedo jacket to a formal event such as a wedding, whereas a bomber jacket is considered to be a more casual style that can only be worn with informal outfits in the winter.
Below I have listed the different types of jackets every man should own, how to wear them and what makes them so valuable. Keep reading for more.
1. Blazer Jacket
Every man should own a blazer because it’s a decent jacket that you can wear to many different occasions like church, weddings, funerals, and work. The blazer jacket is usually made of flannel, hopsack, and navy serge materials but it can also come in fabrics like wool, denim, and even linen. The blazer usually reaches a length below the waist with straight long sleeves.
This jacket has been in fashion for a while and, from the looks of things, it’ll never go out of fashion because it’s so versatile. You can wear it with fitted pants, dark jeans or chinos, and stylish formal shoes.
- The blazer is a classic and it’s made to last.
- It adds style, shows the structure and it provides warmth all at once.
- It gives you a look at integrity and formality.
- It’s not a jacket you can rely on when it’s really cold.
- It’s an occasional jacket (can be worn on specific occasions but not on all occasions).
- It can look too stiff and straight.
2. Denim Jackets
If you’re into wearing casual outfits, then you’re probably familiar with this style of trendy jacket. It’s a comfortable style that’s mostly preferred by younger guys and it’s usually made from strong denim fabric. This is the kind of jacket you want to wear to a party, to movie night, while going out with friends to watch a game, etc.
It’s just a casual jacket that is comfortable for most occasions and it’ll probably never go out of style. Denim jackets come in all types of different colors and styles too. Some even come with a soft cloth lining that makes them incredibly comfortable to wear in the winter.
- Denim jackets are made to last.
- They don’t wrinkle.
- They are easy to take care of and clean.
- Denim jackets are heavy.
- You can’t wear them with certain types of clothes like a tracksuit or pants unless you’re the type of person that pull that off.
3. Leather jacket
This is a classic jacket that has been in style for a while now. Everyone enjoys wearing a leather jacket because it looks cool and is eternally stylish. This water-resistant jacket is exactly what you need if you want to look like a shining knight.
It mainly comes in black color but it is also available in different styles as well. A leather jacket may also come with multiple pockets and zippers and can be made from the hide of a cow, a crocodile, and even snakeskin. That’s what makes leather jackets so durable and they can practically last forever.
And unlike other jackets, the leather jacket is versatile enough to be worn with both formal and casual outfits.
- It’s a comfortable jacket with a breathable feel.
- It’s made from long-lasting, good-quality materials.
- It’s a great jacket that you can wear with any kind of clothing that you desire.
- Leather jackets are expensive.
- Some believe that they are unethical to use since they’re made from animal hides.
- A leather jacket can get easily damaged when not properly maintained.
4. Harrington Jackets
Harrington jackets are usually cropped with elastic lining on the cuffs and waist and a zip on the opening. It’s a versatile jacket that you can easily wear when running errands in chilly weather. These jackets are made of a light fabric that can keep you warm when it’s cold without being overbearing.
You can wear it with most of your clothes because it’s not a selective jacket and it comes in a variety of colors and styles too.
- Harrington jackets are comfortable and breathable.
- You can wear them with most of your trousers whether formal or casual.
- They are perfect jackets that get you prepared for any change of weather. They have zips and pockets to keep you warm when it’s chilly.
- They are made of light fabrics so you can’t rely on them when it’s snowing
- Sometimes they make you look too casual and too simple.
- They are not good for formal occasions like important events, e.g., weddings
5. Fleece Jackets
A perfect choice for chilly weather, these jackets are warm and very comfortable. They are made of polyester and they are lightweight but warm. They come in different sizes and styles with a waist-length design that’s perfect for layering and they basically feel like a hug.
Basically, this type of jacket is as soft as a blanket which makes them perfect for the winter weather and its colors are unlimited.
- They are comfortable and warm enough to wear when it’s cold out.
- They are lightweight and breathable.
- They’re made to last and after a wash, they dry fast.
- This is not a jacket that you can wear year-round. It’s mostly suitable for winter.
- They’re not comfortable for all sizes and ages.
6. Bomber Jackets
This is one of the trendiest jacket styles for men right now. That’s because you can wear a bomber jacket with pretty much anything, but of course, it looks especially clean with a jean and a t-shirt. Most guys enjoy wearing this style of jacket because it’s really warm and reduces the number of layers that you need to wear in order to be warm and because they are zippered, you can better regulate your temperature that way.
Bomber jackets are usually on the hefty side of things but that’s what they’re made for, plus they come in different colors and styles.
- They are water repellent and comfortable to wear at any time.
- They are durable.
- They are breathable and lightweight.
- They can be hard to take care of.
- They easily attract dirt.
- It can take forever to get them dry.
7. Suede Jackets
This is a type of leather jacket made from the inside part of an animal’s hide, especially lambskin. That’s why its surface is so soft and smooth. It’s a nice stylish jacket that comes mostly in blonde color and it can be worn by pretty much anyone.
This jacket is ideal for cold weather and in-between seasons like fall. You can wear suede jackets with pretty much anything and it’s mostly worn with casual outfits. Choose from different hues like blonde, black, brown, and even blue to name but a few.
- Suede jackets are very durable and are made to last.
- These jackets have a smooth texture that’s incredibly comfortable.
- You can only wear suede when it’s cold or chilly. It’s not made for warm weather conditions.
- Suede is difficult to take care of, especially when it comes to light hues like blonde or ivory.
8. Puffle Jackets
This is one of the warmest jackets that you can own. Although their puffiness may be a bit uncomfortable for some, Puffle jackets are great for winter. They come in a wide variety of sizes and colors and they’re affordable too.
These jackets are typically made from goose or duck feathers and they’re incredibly popular in the fashion industry. The air pockets are made of the bulk of the feathers making them very warm.
- They will keep you warm in cold weather.
- They come in different sizes and styles.
- They are breathable.
- They’re not very comfortable and their puffiness can be uncomfortable for others.
- They were specifically designed for winter so you can’t wear them year-round.
- They can be difficult to take care of.
9. Trucker Jackets
Trucker jackets are more common than suede jackets and contrary to what you may think from hearing their name, they’re not just for truckers. Some trucker jackets look like jean jackets and they come with multiple pockets, particularly on the front. As mentioned, they look a lot like denim jackets and first came into fashion during the 19th century, around the same time that denim jackets started becoming popular.
Trucker jackets are usually waist length and are available in different styles for different occasions and seasons. Trucker jackets are also incredibly trendy and are popular among fashionistas all around the world.
Unlike other jackets on this list, trucker jackets don’t come with zippers but have a button-up design that coms with silver buttons.
- They’re very trendy, stylish and popular.
- They’re casual and easy to wear with different outfits.
- They’re easy to take care of.
- Trucker jackets are not meant for all occasions. For instance, you can’t wear them on formal ocassiions unless you want to skip the classic, formal look and don’t mind turning a few heads.
- They can be difficult to take care of.
- They are not ideal for winter because they don’t have any layer that will keep you warm.
10. Varsity Jackets
As the name implies, this type of jacket is mostly worn by cool guys in college who play a certain sport like football or basketball. Varsity jackets come in different colors but the design is usually the same. The wrists and waist usually features an elastic detail that keeps the jacket in place when zipped or buttoned up.
These types of jackets usually don’t have a hood and they are made of a stretchy fabric. They always have a certain figure or letter printed on the back or in front so if you’re not into branded clothing then they’re not for you. They do have a zipper that you can close when it’s chilly out, but the fabric is not exactly reliable enough for winter.
This is a casual jacket, meaning you can wear it with jeans and a nice t-shirt.
- This style of jacket is perfect for young guys in college who want to look good and feel comfortable.
- They are comfortable and perfect for casual occasions.
- They are available in all sizes whether thick or slim.
- This is not the most formal type of jacket and you may not like it that much if you’re out of college.
- You can’t wear them on any occasion e.g., at the workplace.
- Some stains can be hard to remove on them.
11. Coach Jackets
While varsity students have their own jackets, coaches have their own too. However, compared to varsity jackets, coach jackets are not stylish but rather simple in design. They come in a wide range of colors but they don’t have too many details on them, others have zips, others buttons and they always have pockets.
Coach jackets look decent because they have a collar and the best part is that they’re made from a lightweight nylon material. These jackets are very comfortable and you can wear them with most of your outfits including your plain trousers, slacks and jeans.
- They’re comfortable and breathable.
- They lightweight and quick to dry.
- They are easy to take care of.
- You can’t rely on them during winter because they are very light.
- They are not something that you can wear if you want to look classy because they are not made for style.
12. Down Puffer Vest
Just like puffer jackets, down jackets are made of goose and duck feathers. They are puffy around the body and they don’t have sleeves. What makes these jackets so trendy is that they’re a classy, unisex style that’ll instantly upgrade your wadrobe.
Some are long enough to reach the knees while others can only cover the waist and they have zippers to close the opening when it’s cold.
- This is a warm and comfy jacket.
- They can be worn with almost anything that you have but not a suit.
- They are casual, meaning you can wear them when going out for movies with friends, for date night and in any season.
- These jackets are usually sleeveless so they’re not that reliable for winter.
- They aren’t ideal for formal events like weddings and funerals, for example.
13. Field Jackets
Field jackets are typically worn in the workplace just like their name says, so you can’t wear them to formal events and functions or anything like that. this is a military-style jacket that usually comes with four pockets and zippers in the middle at the front. This jacket has a collar too and is usually available in various shades and colors.
However, because they’re mainly made for work, they typically come in dull colors. Field jackets are lightweight though and they look great with jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers.
- Some are warm, especially the original ones.
- They are breathable and comfortable.
- They have many pockets meaning you’ll always have space for your phone or car keys.
- They’re mainly suitable for casual looks.
- They aren’t warm enough for cold weather.
- Not everyone prefers them because their design is just too simple.
14. Raincoat Jacket
Basically, the name says it’s all. Raincoats are typically worn when it’s raining. They’re lightweight and comfy but not warm at all.
They come in different styles and sizes and often come with a hood and pockets and some have a closing zip and some buttons. They’re guaranteed to keep you dry when it’s raining and are usually made from waterproof materials like nylon.
- They’ll keep you dry when it’s raining, making them a reliable companion for winter or rainy seasons.
- They are easy to take care of.
- They last longer if you take good care of them.
- They aren’t warm so you can’t rely on them when it’s cold.
- They can easily be damaged if not handled well.
- They can’t keep you 100 percent dry all the time, especially not in extremely inclement weather.
15. Technical Jackets
Technical jackets are a product of Italy and they come in different styles and colors. Some have a hood and buttons or zip in the middle while others don’t. They all come with pockets on the left and right side with a zipper too for safe storage.
These jackets are waterproof, so you can rely on them when it’s raining plus, they are very comfortable. These lightweight jackets are stylish for both men and women.
- They are very comfortable and stylish.
- They are breathable.
- They are easy to take care of and can protect you when it’s raining.
- They are light so you can’t rely on them when it’s cold.
- They are waterproof but they can’t stand heavy rain.
- You can’t wear them for formal occasions because they are for casual outfits only.
16. Parka Jackets
Parka jackets are mainly designed for cold weather and are particularly popular with hikers, climbers, and adventures who enjoy being outdoors all year round. The parka jacket is extremely comfortable and warm and is designed with a hoodie and layers of fabric to keep you warm. This makes them ideal for head to torso comfort and you’ll get multiple pockets for all of your gear as well.
The sleeves and the whole body of the jacket are made of thick layers that can keep you warm during that heavy snow and most of them are long enough to cover part of the hips. They have buttons and zippers and pockets to put your hands in when it’s really cold, and this jacket was made to completely seal every space to keep the cold out.
- You can 100 percent rely on Parka jackets even when it’s snowing.
- They’re very comfortable due to being made from durable and comfortable cloth.
- They will keep you comfortable for longer.
- They were made for only one season; you can’t wear them during summer or even spring.
- They might feel uncomfortable once you wear them and close all the openings due to the lack of breathability.
- They can be hard to take care of.
17. Shacket Jackets
The shacket is a decent jacket with many pockets and buttons. It looks nice with a decent outfit for sure and since it’s made from high-quality polyester, it’ll be able to adapt to all kinds of weather coditions. These short jackets come in different colors and styles as well.
Shackets are mainly preferred by younger guys because they’re super stylish and look really cool. Some may come in a plain design while others have crossed lines. Shacket jackets are made of different fabrics so you can expect them to look different even though they have the same name.
For best results, make sure to get your shacket from a reputable brand and make sure it’s made from high-quality fabric that’s made to last and you’ll thank yourself for it.
- They can adapt to all kinds of weather conditions.
- They can be worn with both casual and formal outfits.
- They are very stylish and classy.
- They are not warm enough to keep you warm when it gets really cold.
- Although stylish, they look too simple and they can jinx your style.
- Shackets are not everyone’s cup of tea.